Thursday, July 27, 2017

Shirr It Up! The McCall's 7465 Knit Dress with Asymmetrical Skirt Shirring

Summer loving!  This is McCall's 7465 and I am in L-O-V-E.
I know, I know, you might be thinking "What's the big deals? It's just another pullover knit dress."
First of all, can we talk about this fabric?  Those bold colors and Ikat print! As soon as I saw it on Fabric Mart's website I knew I wanted to use it to sew myself a summer dress.  And lucky me, I happened to discover this ITY knit during a sale so I only paid $4/yard (it's now sold out).

I think the shirring along the left side of the dress (only) elevates the status of this dress from "ho-hum" to "wow". 
 It's created by gathering the left side of the skirt and attaching it to the skirt lining. 
I do like that there is a lining.  It helps camouflage lumps and bumps without the need to wear restricting suck-you-in-undergarments which make me want to pass out when combined with high heat and humidity!

Only the skirt portion is lined.  I choose to use a neutral colored ITY knit instead of the fashion knit. The skirt is attached to the bodice at the waist, with a casing for 1/4" elastic. There's a pattern guide to cut the elastic, but I don't use those when sewing for myself. I cut the elastic to fit my body, not what the pattern thinks should fit me.

My serger was finicky the day was I working on this dress. As a result, on the side with the shirring I have an unsightly inside seam due to all the layers not being fed and cut properly by the machine.
I didn't do my normal FBA (full bust adjustment) on this pattern. Instead, I added some length to the center front of the bodice pattern, tapering to nothing at the side seams.

I did go up a size on the bottom as I didn't want it close-fitting. Because of that, the shirring sags a bit across the front and doesn't disguise my tummy as much as I'd like, but I don't care.  It skims, rather than hugs, and I'm much more comfortable with that.
The sleeves are finished by simply turning to the wrong side and stitching in place.
The neck band is rather wide. I'll make it narrower next time I sew this dress.

The pattern, McCall's 7465, has a few different options including a shorter version, a non-shirred skirt version, and a dolman sleeve version.
 I had passed right by this pattern when it was first released (2016).  If  KS_Sews hadn't posted her dress I would not be gushing over MY dress today!

That's about it!  It's easy to sew and fun to wear.  I will be sewing myself more in the near future.

I leave you with a picture of me with my little sewing buddy.


Pin It

4 comments:

  1. This dress is amazing on you! The print and style are a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! My favourite tops are the ones that have shirring down the sides - I keep thinking I need more of that in my wardrobe! So flattering and like you say SO comfortable too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen! I don't know why I don't sew more either as I'm always pleased with the shirring element.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin